You’re used to taking exams as a professional, and as you know, each test is slightly different. Today, I’d like to go over the layout for the CCM Exam Prep and offer 8 Tips For Success to help you prepare.
When I began studying I didn’t know where to begin. I started by looking at CCMC’s website. They have a lot of valuable information, but it is not easy to find everything you are looking for in one spot. Here is a summary of the information you need to know when preparing for the exam.
CCM Exam Overview
The CCM Exam is administered three times a year in April, August, and December.
The application window opens five months before the exam and remains open for three months.
The CCM exam is administered at Prometric test centers. After being approved by CCMC to sit for the exam you will receive information to contact Prometric to schedule your exam date.
Quick Tip: As soon as you get your authorization from CCMC to sit for the exam, be sure to contact Prometric to get the test date of your choice, as some centers fill up fast!
In order to sit for the CCM exam, you must meet eligibility criteria. Take a look at this post for specific eligibility information.
According to CCMC, “The CCM exam is practice-based, meaning all questions are based on knowledge that an experienced case manager should know and understand. There is not any course or education required to take the exam or to prepare for the exam”.
- 180 multiple choice questions (150 are scored, the other 30 are pretest questions that are being tested for possible inclusion of future tests)
- Covers 5 knowledge domains
- Questions are drawn from CCMC item pool
- 3 hours to complete
5 Knowledge Domains
The CCMC Exam questions cover the following five knowledge domains:
|Care Delivery & Reimbursement Methods||*47 questions
31% of exam
|Psychosocial Concepts & Support Systems||*40 questions
27% of exam
|Quality & Outcomes Evaluation and Measurements||*27 questions
18% of exam
|Ethical, Legal & Practice Standards||*23 questions
15% of exam
|Rehabilitation Concepts & Strategies||*13 questions
9% of exam
Quick Tips for Preparing for The CCM Exam
Here are 8 specific tips for studying and taking the CCM exam:
- The CCM exam was updated in August 2016, make sure you have the updated study materials.
- Plan study time according to the number of questions on the exam. Look at the number of questions in each domain and plan study time accordingly.
- A broad general knowledge is more important than memorizing facts. Have a general knowledge of the items in each domain. Here is a list of the domains.
- Know the Case Manager Philosophy and ensure your answers align with it.
- Study until you understand the information well enough to teach someone about it (especially the information you are not familiar with). When you understand the information that well, it is a good sign!
- Exam questions are direct. There are no “all of the above” or “none of the above,” questions.
- Answer questions according to how Case Managers, in general, would answer, not how it is done at your place of employment.
- Breathe! When you get to the exam, write “BREATHE” at the top of your scratch paper, and look at it when you are feeling overwhelmed.
Hopefully, this helps you have an idea of what to expect on the exam.
If you are looking for study materials, the CCM Study Guide along with the Online Study Course is sure to help you feel confident and ready to take the exam.
I also offer a webinar on Study Strategies for the CCM and Test Taking Strategies for the CCM. To be notified of the next session and to receive more valuable information to help you pass the CCM Exam, click on the blue tab to sign up for my email updates.