TRICARE was formerly known as the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Uniformed Services (CHAMPUS). TRICARE is the healthcare program for service members (active, Guard/Reserve, and retired) and their families. TRICARE is managed by the Defense Health Agency (DHA) and uses military healthcare as its main delivery system, supported by a civilian network of providers and facilities.
TRICARE offers 3 basic options for Care
- TRICARE Prime: HMO type plan
- TRICARE Extra: PPO type plan
- TRICARE Standard: Fee for service plan
Other TRICARE benefits
- TRICARE for Life- A Medicare Wraparound Coverage for beneficiaries entitles to Medicare.
- TRICARE Reserve Select- Coverage for National Guard and Reserve members.
- TRICARE Retired Reserve- Coverage for Retired National Guard and Reserve Members and their family.
- CHCBP- Continued Health Care Benefit Program: Temporary transitional health care coverage for 18-36 months after TRICARE benefit ends
- TRICARE pharmacy program
- TRICARE dental program